Thursday, June 27, 2013

Where I Live

For the last several months we have been battling with the very long process of finding the perfect house for our family to call home. The only thing we knew was that this quaint,  two bedroom condo was not it. We have a long list of of evidence to back that statement with as well. But what a struggle it has been. We would start down one path just long enough to get excited and start to make plans only to hit a dead end and have to go back to the beginning. It was stressful to say the least. But for me it was a little heart wrenching at times. I've been wishing for that perfect home. The one with toys littering the grassy backyard. The kitchen that was actually big enough for the kids and I to be able to stand around the mixer together and watch it swirl around the chocolate chip cookie dough. The house that had room for visitors who didn't want to spend money on hotels. The one with lots of neighborhood kids helping themselves to your front yard and your food and even your bathroom. You know, that house! Not this one! Not this tiny, cramped, boring box we've been counting the days to leave.

 But I have realized something. In addition to the long list of negatives we've made up while living here, there is a much longer list of things I love about this tiny, cramped, boring box. I love that we can't escape each other. You can hear each other from opposite ends of the house. I love that when I'm in bed I can hear my kids breathing in their room next door. I love blowing bubbles and eating Popsicles on the balcony. I love my kids scooting chairs up to the kitchen counters to sneak treats out of the cupboards. I love dancing in the living room after family home evening. I love that my kids ask to go outside every time they hear our neighbor step outside for a smoke, just so they can visit with him and tell him all about their day. I love that he loves to listen and says it makes his day every day. I love movie nights where we all pile on the living room floor. I love movie nights where we all pile in mommy and daddy's bed. I love when my kids press their little noses on the window to watch the garbage truck every Tuesday. I love that Tyler's office is a three minute drive away and we can visit whenever we feel like it and he can do the same. I love that we can walk to downtown and play in the fountains and eat snow cones.

See, there are a lot of things to like about this silly condo. Because it's not really the house that makes a home. It's the people inside and the memories you make with them. The feelings you share and the Spirit that envelopes you every time you walk in. I might just miss it. But I'm sure glad that no matter where I live, I will always have my home with me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...