Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In The Motherhood


I was really looking forward to ABC's new TV series "In the Motherhood". It looked like a funny show that I could maybe relate to. I made it through about 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up on it. Maybe someone out there watched it and I missed the better of it, but as far as I am concerned, working all day and then avoiding going home to relieve your nanny so you can have drinks with your friends, has very little to do with being a mother. So it was a disappointment mostly because I expected there to be a mother, involved with her children somehow... strange expectation right? To add to my disappointment, I watched an episode of Oprah the other day about "celebrating moms". I thought to myself, "It's about time motherhood was celebrated!". Little did I know, the entire episode was of mothers talking about how hard and terrible motherhood is. Granted, some of the stories were pretty hilarious, but the mothers interviewed made it sound like motherhood was a dirty job that someone has to do and they drew the short straw. Poor me, I had a baby and it changed my life. So enough of my venting. My point is yes, motherhood is hard. I only have one child so far and he is just now learning how to tear my house apart, so I am anticipating it getting much harder. Maybe I am jaded because I have an adorable, chubby cheeked, blue eyed boy giggling back at me, but I think motherhood is a beautiful and joyous thing. As a matter of fact, I think it is the greatest and most rewarding thing on Earth. There are days I look at the clock and realize it's four in the afternoon, I haven't showered, Parker and I have already had two naps, I've done zero of my homework, my house is a disaster and dinner needs to be ready in an hour or so. But who cares? Every little grin on his face makes up for 100 showerless days. I love motherhood and I wish there was a more positive spotlight on the greatest calling on Earth!

3 comments:

Monte and Brittany said...

i second this!! :)

Jeff and Laura said...

I THIRD THIS!

Mama of 3 said...

I agree!! You're a great mom! It was fun seeing you today!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...